PHOTOS: UK's First Same-sex Weddings Began at Midnight
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 29 2014 1:18 PM ET
Peter McGraith (left) and David Cabreza kiss outside Islington Town Hall after getting married shortly after midnight in one of the UK's first same-sex weddings on March 29, 2014 in London, England. Same sex couples have been able to enter into "civil partnerships" since 2005, however following a change in the law in July 2013 gay couples are now eligible to marry in England and Wales. A number of gay couples had arranged for their wedding ceremonies to take place shortly after midnight on March 29, 2014, to become some of the first to take advantage of the new law. Parliament's decision to grant same sex couples an equal right to marriage has been met with opposition from religious groups. Same-sex marriage is currently being debated in Scotland, however the Northern Ireland administration has no plans to make it law.
Peter McGraith and David Cabreza.
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- 60 Homoerotic Album Covers
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- First African-American Gay Superhero Joins Arrow Cast
- Antigay Texas Attorney General Surrenders After Indictment