PHOTOS: UK's First Same-sex Weddings Began at Midnight
BY Advocate.com Editors
March 29 2014 12:18 PM ET
Peter McGraith (left) and David Cabreza kiss outside Islington Town Hall after getting married shortly after midnight in one of the UK's first same-sex weddings on March 29, 2014 in London, England. Same sex couples have been able to enter into "civil partnerships" since 2005, however following a change in the law in July 2013 gay couples are now eligible to marry in England and Wales. A number of gay couples had arranged for their wedding ceremonies to take place shortly after midnight on March 29, 2014, to become some of the first to take advantage of the new law. Parliament's decision to grant same sex couples an equal right to marriage has been met with opposition from religious groups. Same-sex marriage is currently being debated in Scotland, however the Northern Ireland administration has no plans to make it law.
Peter McGraith and David Cabreza.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment