Op-ed: The Story (and Viral Video) of My Wedding Proposal
BY Kyle Piers
June 13 2012 5:43 PM ET
On April 28, I proposed to my boyfriend, Tommy, in front of 700 people at his former college a cappella group's spring concert, which marked the 20th anniversary of the group. The Boston University Dear Abbeys had just released their new CD, which my boyfriend had spent the last two years recording and producing as the group's music director.
I conspired to be summoned onstage so I could propose in front of almost all the people dearest to us. You see, the Dear Abbeys are more than a college singing group, they're a family. They're our family, so I knew it was crucial they be a part of the plan.
The overwhelming amount of love and support we received that night, from friends, strangers, male, female, young, old, gay, straight, was just incredible to experience. That night, it didn't matter what beliefs people held, everyone could see that love is love and that it knows no bounds.
We will be getting married on October 12, 2013, in honor of Matthew Shepard's life and the legacy the Shepards have created with their foundation's work in the world. If our story could help even one burdened soul or change one person's opinion on gay marriage, we'd feel accomplished.
We're hoping that the love we experienced is shared in this video and offers hope to those struggling with their sexual identities or feeling isolated and scared, educates those who may not agree with gay marriage, and promotes equality while erasing hatred.
Watch the video below.
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 2 hours 54 min ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM