Op-ed: The Story (and Viral Video) of My Wedding Proposal
BY Kyle Piers
June 13 2012 6:43 PM ET
On April 28, I proposed to my boyfriend, Tommy, in front of 700 people at his former college a cappella group's spring concert, which marked the 20th anniversary of the group. The Boston University Dear Abbeys had just released their new CD, which my boyfriend had spent the last two years recording and producing as the group's music director.
I conspired to be summoned onstage so I could propose in front of almost all the people dearest to us. You see, the Dear Abbeys are more than a college singing group, they're a family. They're our family, so I knew it was crucial they be a part of the plan.
The overwhelming amount of love and support we received that night, from friends, strangers, male, female, young, old, gay, straight, was just incredible to experience. That night, it didn't matter what beliefs people held, everyone could see that love is love and that it knows no bounds.
We will be getting married on October 12, 2013, in honor of Matthew Shepard's life and the legacy the Shepards have created with their foundation's work in the world. If our story could help even one burdened soul or change one person's opinion on gay marriage, we'd feel accomplished.
We're hoping that the love we experienced is shared in this video and offers hope to those struggling with their sexual identities or feeling isolated and scared, educates those who may not agree with gay marriage, and promotes equality while erasing hatred.
Watch the video below.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination 2 hours 51 min ago
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM