Jet Magazine Features First Male Couple in Weddings Section
BY Trudy Ring
December 03 2012 5:45 PM ET
The new issue of Jet magazine features a gay male couple in its Jet Love weddings section, a first for the venerable publication.
The December 10 issue of Jet, which hit newsstands today, highlights the wedding of Ravi Perry, an assistant professor of political pcience at Mississippi State University, and Paris Prince, a licensed real estate broker and compliance officer for the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination. They were married in August at their home in Worcester, Mass.
“The biweekly feature, which traditionally showcases straight couples, includes a short bio of the couple and explains how the couple fell in love,” GLAAD reports in a press release saluting the magazine, which is aimed at an African-American audience, for featuring the wedding of the two men. Jet featured its first lesbian wedding last year, with the union of Nyema Vernon and Tenika Jackson.
“Jet magazine has an extensive legacy of covering the lives of LGBT African-Americans,” said GLAAD president Herndon Graddick in the press release. “This is yet another opportunity to applaud Jet magazine for continuing to highlight the diversity of the African-American community and to urge other media outlets to recognize that it’s these stories that help grow acceptance of our community and give a voice to LGBT people of color who are too often invisible in the media.”
Perry and Prince issued a statement through GLAAD, saying, “We are excited and honored to have our wedding featured in the historic yet ever-current Jet magazine. Long the hallmark in publishing news, culture, and events pertaining to the black American experience, Jet’s publishing of our union is historic.”
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 23 min 14 sec ago
- Women Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 23 min 25 sec ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 29 min 6 sec ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 43 min 28 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 1 hour 11 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 1 hour 32 min ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 1 hour 35 min ago