PHOTOS: Couple Who Were Engaged at White House Gets Married
BY Lucas Grindley
December 07 2012 7:59 PM ET
The couple in that viral video wedding proposal made at the White House in front of throngs of people attending the annual LGBT Pride Month celebration just as suddenly had their ceremony on Thursday. They eloped.
Liz Margolies legally married Scout, a transgender man who goes by one name, in New York at another symbolic location. They were married by a rabbi, according to the Huffington Post, at an old fur vault in Chelsea that is being converted to a sanctuary for a future LGBT congregation. Scout has shared that he attempted suicide while young and hopes the wedding inspires young people like him.
Their proposal has been viewed almost 75,000 times on YouTube and was a target for criticism by the right wing, with both Margolies and Scout writing op-eds on LGBT websites reacting to the attacks. Both are career activists. Scout is a PhD who is director of the Network for LGBT Health Equity at the Fenway Institute, and Margolies is the executive director of the National LGBT Cancer Network.
Margolies told the Huffington Post some of their friends also reacted with disapproval, and so the couple eloped, inviting only three guests, including MSNBC anchor Melissa Harris-Perry who they met at the White House reception and who has hosted them on her TV show, and Tyler Clementi's gay older brother, James.
But luckily you can check out photos from the big moment on the following pages.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 6 min 36 sec ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 8 min 29 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 26 min 36 sec ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 28 min 56 sec ago
- Film We Steal Secrets: Is Bradley Manning a Hero? 31 min 15 sec ago
- Film A Drinking Game for the Liberace Movie 31 min 42 sec ago
- Health News Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men 1 hour 41 min ago