PHOTOS: Couple Who Were Engaged at White House Gets Married
BY Lucas Grindley
December 07 2012 7:59 PM ET
The couple in that viral video wedding proposal made at the White House in front of throngs of people attending the annual LGBT Pride Month celebration just as suddenly had their ceremony on Thursday. They eloped.
Liz Margolies legally married Scout, a transgender man who goes by one name, in New York at another symbolic location. They were married by a rabbi, according to the Huffington Post, at an old fur vault in Chelsea that is being converted to a sanctuary for a future LGBT congregation. Scout has shared that he attempted suicide while young and hopes the wedding inspires young people like him.
Their proposal has been viewed almost 75,000 times on YouTube and was a target for criticism by the right wing, with both Margolies and Scout writing op-eds on LGBT websites reacting to the attacks. Both are career activists. Scout is a PhD who is director of the Network for LGBT Health Equity at the Fenway Institute, and Margolies is the executive director of the National LGBT Cancer Network.
Margolies told the Huffington Post some of their friends also reacted with disapproval, and so the couple eloped, inviting only three guests, including MSNBC anchor Melissa Harris-Perry who they met at the White House reception and who has hosted them on her TV show, and Tyler Clementi's gay older brother, James.
But luckily you can check out photos from the big moment on the following pages.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 23 min 31 sec ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 26 min 6 sec ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 29 min 19 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 31 min 42 sec ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 1 hour 27 min ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 1 hour 30 min ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 1 hour 42 min ago