PHOTOS: A Wedding for a History-Maker
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 18 2012 3:30 PM ET
Retired Air Force Major Margaret Witt, a key voice in the fight to repeal "don't ask, don't tell," wed her longtime partner Laurie Johnson during a small ceremony at Grande Ronde Cellars in Spokane, Wash., on Saturday.
Witt's attorney in her successful federal court challenge to her dismissal under DADT, Jim Lobsenz, presided over the ceremony. The couple was the first to get their marriage license at the Spokane County Courthouse just before 8:30 a.m. on December 6.
Washington state enacted marriage equality after voters approved Referendum 74 in the November election. Washington now joins Maryland, Maine, New York, Connecticut, New Hamshire, Iowa, Vermont, Massachusetts, and the District of Columbia in allowing same-sex couples to marry.
See more images on the following pages.
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 1 min 42 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 13 min 31 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel These Grooms Met Because of a Big Blue Dog 17 min 3 sec ago
- Crime Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City 19 min 37 sec ago
- Women Evan Rachel Wood, Anne Rice, Join Calls to 'Save Kate' 22 min 12 sec ago
- Women Shot of the Day: Jennifer Lawrence Buxom and Blue for X-Men 23 min 18 sec ago
- Women WATCH: The Voice's Out Contestant Michelle Chamuel Kills on P!nk's "Just Give Me Reason" 41 min 57 sec ago