PHOTOS: A Wedding for a History-Maker
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 18 2012 3:30 PM ET
Retired Air Force Major Margaret Witt, a key voice in the fight to repeal "don't ask, don't tell," wed her longtime partner Laurie Johnson during a small ceremony at Grande Ronde Cellars in Spokane, Wash., on Saturday.
Witt's attorney in her successful federal court challenge to her dismissal under DADT, Jim Lobsenz, presided over the ceremony. The couple was the first to get their marriage license at the Spokane County Courthouse just before 8:30 a.m. on December 6.
Washington state enacted marriage equality after voters approved Referendum 74 in the November election. Washington now joins Maryland, Maine, New York, Connecticut, New Hamshire, Iowa, Vermont, Massachusetts, and the District of Columbia in allowing same-sex couples to marry.
See more images on the following pages.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM