The Right Way to Capture Love
BY Michelle Garcia
February 14 2013 4:00 AM ET
Photographer Thea Dodds and wedding industry veteran Kathryn Hamm have both realized that same-sex weddings just cannot be captured and documented the same way as hetero couples.
"Simply put, what works for a straight couple won’t always work for a gay or lesbian couple," Dodds says. "Weddings are changing, and photography education needs to change too."
So the duo collaborated with 38 other photographers to publish Capturing Love: The Art of Lesbian & Gay Wedding Photography, highlighting the love between 46 same-sex couples from across the country. The book serves as a guide compelling photographers to look how the faces of love and weddings are changing for the 21st century.
On the following pages are examples from the book, available today, and through digital download in March.
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died