The Right Way to Capture Love
BY Michelle Garcia
February 14 2013 4:00 AM ET
Photographer Thea Dodds and wedding industry veteran Kathryn Hamm have both realized that same-sex weddings just cannot be captured and documented the same way as hetero couples.
"Simply put, what works for a straight couple won’t always work for a gay or lesbian couple," Dodds says. "Weddings are changing, and photography education needs to change too."
So the duo collaborated with 38 other photographers to publish Capturing Love: The Art of Lesbian & Gay Wedding Photography, highlighting the love between 46 same-sex couples from across the country. The book serves as a guide compelling photographers to look how the faces of love and weddings are changing for the 21st century.
On the following pages are examples from the book, available today, and through digital download in March.
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- Ugandan Parliament Passes Anti-Homosexuality Bill
- Seat Filler: Best New York Theater of 2013
- Marriage Equality Photo from Utah: First Gay Couple Married 50 min 2 sec ago
- Women LISTEN: Out Folk Duo Hannah & Maggie's Lesbian Love Letter to Mrs. Claus 1 hour 43 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert 4:55 PM
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt 4:48 PM
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! 4:44 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort 4:34 PM
- Comedy Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson' 4:29 PM