PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
BY Christopher Harrity
May 23 2013 6:00 AM ET
Sarah Deragon first realized same-sex couples weren't well served by wedding photographers when trying to find one for her own big day.
"I found it extremely frustrating that most wedding photographers said that they 'support' marriage equality, but didn’t have any LGBTQ couples on their websites," says Deragon, who founded Weddings to the People in 2011. "I searched far and wide to find the right wedding photographer who wouldn't find it necessary to ask me which one of us was the bride or why we decided to honor certain traditions and discard others. LGBTQ couples are celebrated at Weddings to the People because love is love and we all deserve the right to marry our beloved."
Does Weddings to the People photograph heterosexual couples? Sure. But it specializes in LGBTQ weddings. The team at Weddings to the People (photographer Deragon and her wife and business partner, Natalie Josef) say they take the time to get to know each couple they work with. By the time the ceremony happens, their aim is for you not to feel as if you are being stalked by a stranger with a camera. And by the results of the images included here, you can see they have succeeded.
More information on Weddings to the People here. (And it doesn't just do weddings!)
Click through for more great wedding photos.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Op-ed: They're Trans, They're Hispanic, and They've Changed This World
- South African Mosque Welcomes Gays, Women, Christians, Muslims
- EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Beenie Man Apologizes