Post-Prop. 8: L.A.'s Spike in Wedding Applications
BY Christopher Harrity
July 03 2013 11:37 AM ET
The number of weddings has spiked in Los Angeles County now that gay and lesbian couples can marry again after the lawsuit for Proposition 8 was dismissed by the Supreme Court last week.
The spike occurred Monday, especially among couples who had planned to wed in 2008 but could not because of Proposition 8, according to the Los Angeles Times. The county received 606 online applications for marriage licenses over the weekend. The previous weekend, the county received 123 applications.
West Hollywood city leaders are temporarily deputized Monday in order to perform free same-sex marriage ceremonies. The U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals lifted California's ban on same-sex marriages just three days after the Supreme Court ruled that supporters of the ban, Proposition 8, could not defend it before the high court. California governor Jerry Brown ordered all counties in the state to begin issuing licenses immediately.
Click through for more photos of Los Angeles couples celebrating the festivities...
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM