Man Proposes to Boyfriend on Change.org Petition
BY Daniel Reynolds
July 12 2013 7:48 PM ET
A California man found an innovative way to propose to his boyfriend—through a petition on Change.org.
José Juan Capó, a San Francisco native and an employee of the popular petition website, began his online campaign shortly after the Supreme Court's historic ruling on June 26, which effectively struck down Proposition 8 and restored marriage equality to California.
“I love you, Brian Key,” Capó wrote in the petition. “I love your smile, your handsome looks and your smart and witty personality. I have loved you for almost 25 years now.”
“I cannot think of anyone with whom I would rather spend the rest of my life,” Capó concluded. “I am lucky to be your loving partner and I cannot wait to be your husband. Please say 'yes!'"
More than 300 people from around the world have signed the petition, sharing their warm wishes with the couple. “I'm welling up! So beautiful,” said Katherine Sladden from the United Kingdom. Rene Riquer from Mexico added, “The guys deserve it! :)”
The Advocate confirmed that Key has seen the petition and said “yes” to the marriage proposal.
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 4 min 19 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 1 hour 48 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 2 hours 47 min ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM