WATCH: Lesbian High School Sweethearts Receive Marriage License
BY Jase Peeples
October 27 2013 3:16 PM ET
After 40 years together and more than a decade in court fighting for the recognition of same-sex marriage in the state of New Jersey, Cindy Meneghin and Maureen Kilian have finally received a marriage license.
The couple, who met in high school more than 40 years ago, is one of the many who have joined with Lambda Legal in the battle for marriage equality.
“Nobody gives up on their family, nobody gives up on their loved one [and] nobody should,” Meneghin said in a video highlighting the touching story of the two high school sweethearts. “When you love someone you want to be with them, you want to be protected, you want them to be protected and that means marriage. When you love someone you don't stop fighting for them."
Same-sex couples were given the right to wed in New Jersey beginning October 21, following the ruling of Judge Mary Jacobson of the Mercer County Superior Court which ordered the state to recognize marriages between same-sex couples citing the U.S. Supreme Court’s June 26 ruling in United States v. Windsor.
Watch the incredible story of these two high school sweethearts in the video below.
- He Went There: Antigay Judge Roy Moore Compares Marriage Equality to Holocaust
- Tennessee Hardware Store Puts Up 'No Gays Allowed' Sign
- Girl Scouts Return $100K When Donor Demands It 'Not Be Used' For Trans Girls
- Girl Scouts Raise $100,000 in One Day After Dropping Transphobic Donor
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers