Gay Wedding Warms Up NYC Club for Big Gay Il(legal) Party
BY Brandon Voss
April 24 2014 4:22 PM ET
54 Below, a New York City performance venue located beneath the legendary Studio 54, recently toasted its first wedding.
Psychologist David Usdan and BBC producer Howard Brenner were married Saturday at the intimate cabaret and nightclub, where they were serenaded by Broadway performer Liz Callaway.
54 Below will also welcome a wedding reception for the winners of the American Civil Liberties Union's My Big Gay (Il)legal Wedding, a contest in which five gay couples, all living in U.S. states where same-sex marriage is illegal, received $5,000 each toward the wedding of their dreams.
Orange Is the New Black star Lea DeLaria will host ACLU's May 19 event, which will raise awareness regarding marriage equality.
The celebrating couples are Jeromy Manke and Brian Jensen of Reno, Nev.; Tamara Sheffield and Maryja Mee of Salisbury, N.C.; Humberto Niebla and Rafael Vasquez of Paradise Valley, Ariz.; Jeff Robertson and Jeremiah Pyant of Houston; and Megan and Lindsey Smith of Chattanooga, Tenn. Meet them all here.
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- 14 Stunning Photos of LGBT Military Personnel
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- 6 Last-Minute Exercises for the Perfect Gay Beach Bod