Gay Wedding Warms Up NYC Club for Big Gay Il(legal) Party
BY Brandon Voss
April 24 2014 3:22 PM ET
54 Below, a New York City performance venue located beneath the legendary Studio 54, recently toasted its first wedding.
Psychologist David Usdan and BBC producer Howard Brenner were married Saturday at the intimate cabaret and nightclub, where they were serenaded by Broadway performer Liz Callaway.
54 Below will also welcome a wedding reception for the winners of the American Civil Liberties Union's My Big Gay (Il)legal Wedding, a contest in which five gay couples, all living in U.S. states where same-sex marriage is illegal, received $5,000 each toward the wedding of their dreams.
Orange Is the New Black star Lea DeLaria will host ACLU's May 19 event, which will raise awareness regarding marriage equality.
The celebrating couples are Jeromy Manke and Brian Jensen of Reno, Nev.; Tamara Sheffield and Maryja Mee of Salisbury, N.C.; Humberto Niebla and Rafael Vasquez of Paradise Valley, Ariz.; Jeff Robertson and Jeremiah Pyant of Houston; and Megan and Lindsey Smith of Chattanooga, Tenn. Meet them all here.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Will Florida Arrest Clerks for Marrying Gay Couples?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment