For TV, 30 Years of Queers
BY Neal Broverman
May 29 2008 11:00 PM ET
Crystal spoke about the public reaction to his role as Jodie Dallas, which garnered him jeers on the street and accusations from his family.
"I had a chance to do something special -- and it worked," Crystal said. "Some of it was awkward; the giggles and nervous laughter was very hard to take."
Bearse spoke about her journey from "Marcy Darcy," her straight character on Fox's Married … With Children to her coming-out (she gave a shout-out to The Advocate, her outlet for the public announcement) and her transition to director and subsequent work on Logo's Big Gay Sketch Show. Bearse said she didn't face homophobia on the Married set and that she moved on to directing of her own volition. She did acknowledge that casting agents weren't knocking on her door after she came out.
Cayne said she was a bit surprised at her success, noting that just a few years ago, "I was doing drag at Barracuda," the Chelsea bar. She did say that a little voice always told her she would rise to the next level.
LeNear and Gossett, partners in life and work, were living on the down low when they created their show, The DL Chronicles, which aired on the here! network last year. Said LeNear:"We thought, Can we be creators of The DL Chronicles and be on the DL?"
The evening was certainly not a bad way to spend a couple hours as well as an encouraging reminder that queer visibility on the small screen is increasing in positive ways -- not just on Showtime and HBO, but ABC and the other mainstream networks. A growing number of programs feature one or two queer characters seamlessly woven into the series.
Said Showtime executive Bob Greenblatt: "I don't know if they'll ever be another show with eight gay or lesbian characters [like Queer as Folk or The L Word], and I think that's OK."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 1 hour 30 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 2 hours 14 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 2 hours 15 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 2 hours 31 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM