For TV, 30 Years of Queers
BY Neal Broverman
May 29 2008 11:00 PM ET
Crystal spoke about the public reaction to his role as Jodie Dallas, which garnered him jeers on the street and accusations from his family.
"I had a chance to do something special -- and it worked," Crystal said. "Some of it was awkward; the giggles and nervous laughter was very hard to take."
Bearse spoke about her journey from "Marcy Darcy," her straight character on Fox's Married … With Children to her coming-out (she gave a shout-out to The Advocate, her outlet for the public announcement) and her transition to director and subsequent work on Logo's Big Gay Sketch Show. Bearse said she didn't face homophobia on the Married set and that she moved on to directing of her own volition. She did acknowledge that casting agents weren't knocking on her door after she came out.
Cayne said she was a bit surprised at her success, noting that just a few years ago, "I was doing drag at Barracuda," the Chelsea bar. She did say that a little voice always told her she would rise to the next level.
LeNear and Gossett, partners in life and work, were living on the down low when they created their show, The DL Chronicles, which aired on the here! network last year. Said LeNear:"We thought, Can we be creators of The DL Chronicles and be on the DL?"
The evening was certainly not a bad way to spend a couple hours as well as an encouraging reminder that queer visibility on the small screen is increasing in positive ways -- not just on Showtime and HBO, but ABC and the other mainstream networks. A growing number of programs feature one or two queer characters seamlessly woven into the series.
Said Showtime executive Bob Greenblatt: "I don't know if they'll ever be another show with eight gay or lesbian characters [like Queer as Folk or The L Word], and I think that's OK."
- Sports College Swimmer Comes Out to Religious Mom 14 min 26 sec ago
- Media CNN to Test New Don Lemon Prime-Time Show 28 min 20 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think 44 min 23 sec ago
- Love and Sex Single, Fun, Fit, and 50 56 min 18 sec ago
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 1 hour 13 min ago
- Politics Virginia's House Repeals Sodomy Ban 2 hours 12 min ago
- Crime WATCH: Gay Couple Attacked in NYC on 10th Anniversary 2 hours 18 min ago