NYT 's Big Gay Celebration
BY Charles Kaiser
June 02 2009 12:00 AM ET
"We spoke there and
became friends with them, and we explained that we wanted to
have a child, and we wanted that child to have the benefit of
knowing who the biological link was," Salzer says. "So at
some point in our friendship they offered to be donors to us,
and they're both dads to our Piper. And we're pursuing having
another child. As far as Piper is concerned, she has two moms
and two dads, and she knows their extended families. She has
seven grandparents, and I can travel across the country to see
relatives I don't even know -- and there's my daughter on their
Andrew Lippa and David
Bloch got married in California last summer, during that narrow
window when same-sex marriage was legal there.
"It was important to
me because it felt like an opportunity to so something as
simple and as beautiful as announcing your wedding like
straight people have been able to do for centuries," says
Lippa, a composer. "For gay people it's a big statement. But
[in a way] it was the opposite -- it was two people who love
each other being supported by our community -- and the
is our community newspaper. I think collectively we got 250
Initially, David was
less enthusiastic about the announcement than Andrew.
"It was important to
Andrew," David says.
But then they both
a video, which the
posted on its website, using a song Andrew had written as the
"David appeared like
from around the corner, and it was like music and angels and
harps and singing and glitter," Andrew gushes on camera.
"It really was!"
Then he adds, "I'm a
little grand. Andrew is a little shy."
Back in the 1970s and
'80s, when Abe Rosenthal was its top editor and Arthur
"Punch" Sulzberger was its publisher, the
was considered by many to be one of the most homophobic
institutions in America.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM