NYT 's Big Gay Celebration
BY Charles Kaiser
June 01 2009 11:00 PM ET
"We spoke there and
became friends with them, and we explained that we wanted to
have a child, and we wanted that child to have the benefit of
knowing who the biological link was," Salzer says. "So at
some point in our friendship they offered to be donors to us,
and they're both dads to our Piper. And we're pursuing having
another child. As far as Piper is concerned, she has two moms
and two dads, and she knows their extended families. She has
seven grandparents, and I can travel across the country to see
relatives I don't even know -- and there's my daughter on their
Andrew Lippa and David
Bloch got married in California last summer, during that narrow
window when same-sex marriage was legal there.
"It was important to
me because it felt like an opportunity to so something as
simple and as beautiful as announcing your wedding like
straight people have been able to do for centuries," says
Lippa, a composer. "For gay people it's a big statement. But
[in a way] it was the opposite -- it was two people who love
each other being supported by our community -- and the
is our community newspaper. I think collectively we got 250
Initially, David was
less enthusiastic about the announcement than Andrew.
"It was important to
Andrew," David says.
But then they both
a video, which the
posted on its website, using a song Andrew had written as the
"David appeared like
from around the corner, and it was like music and angels and
harps and singing and glitter," Andrew gushes on camera.
"It really was!"
Then he adds, "I'm a
little grand. Andrew is a little shy."
Back in the 1970s and
'80s, when Abe Rosenthal was its top editor and Arthur
"Punch" Sulzberger was its publisher, the
was considered by many to be one of the most homophobic
institutions in America.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM