NYT 's Big Gay Celebration
BY Charles Kaiser
June 02 2009 12:00 AM ET
The night before their wedding, Van Capelle and Morningstar asked 50 of their guests to come to the Gay Men's Health Crisis to serve food and make safe-sex kits. "It was one of the best parts of the entire weekend," Van Capelle remembers. "Because there at the table were a priest and a nun. And suddenly our 7-year old niece starts jumping up and down saying, "I ran out of the blue ones!'"
"And the nun says, 'Don't worry, dear -- use the purple ones. They're lubricated, but they do the same thing!'"
"Those are the moments I'll remember," says Van Capelle.
- EXCLUSIVE: Jennifer Hudson Raises Her Voice for Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: How Transparent Tried and Failed to Represent Trans Men
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- Federal Judge Upholds Puerto Rico Marriage Ban
- In Their Own Words: Men of Color Explain Why They Take PrEP