BY Bryan Ochalla
October 23 2009 7:50 AM ET
Has it been a specific goal of yours to change
people’s perceptions of the gay community, or is that just a positive
It is a goal of mine to expand people’s perceptions
of the gay community — and to expand people’s perceptions of what it
means to be gender-nonconforming. I think I’m doing that, in part, by
being proud of who I am and by carrying myself with respect. I’m not
over-the-top when it comes to being sexual, especially — I don’t
oversexualize myself. The heterosexual community already tends to think
that all gay men want to do is have sex, and I don’t want to feed into
I’m guessing you’re also trying to expand gay people’s perspectives of what it means to be gender-nonconforming?
know that some gay people think that because I’m flamboyant I’m hurting
the [LGBT] community instead of helping it. The way I see it, though,
is that I’m out on the battle lines every day. I have to hold my head
up high as I walk down the street and someone calls me a faggot. If I
can do that and if I can get people to accept and love me as a result
of it, imagine the acceptance and love it will bring to everyone else
[in the LGBT community].
Do you think you’ll be able to stay true to who you are if you transition to TV?
lot of people have tried to change me already — people who have told me, “People might be a little more accepting if you do a little less of
this or that.” No. Uh-uh. My self-expression is responsible for the
success I’ve had until now, so I’m going to remain true to that no
matter where all of this takes me.
- PHOTOS: French Photographer Fights Homophobia With 'Imaginary Couples'
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Op-ed: Why Cindy McCain Really Is a 'Hero'
- WATCH: Gay Marine Proposes to Boyfriend
- Man of Steel: A Gay Allegory For Our Time
- Arts & Entertainment | Advocate.com
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel PHOTOS: L.A.'s Favorite Park Reopens After $45M Renovation June 17 2013 8:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Series Easy Abby Season Finale June 17 2013 8:16 PM
- Women Melissa Etheridge Says Angelina Jolie Made 'Fearful Choice' on Breast Cancer June 17 2013 6:46 PM
- Entertainment News NYC Gay Bar Gets Reality Show... June 17 2013 6:09 PM
- Women Duh: Ellen DeGeneres Is Still Most Recognizable Gay American June 17 2013 6:07 PM
- Sports Greg Louganis is Getting Married June 17 2013 6:06 PM
- Religion Gay Catholics Turn Their Backs to Cardinal Who Compared LGBT Equality to KKK June 17 2013 5:20 PM