BY Michelle Garcia
January 21 2010 6:30 PM ET
Focus on the Family's upcoming Super Bowl spot featuring Heisman Trophy winner Tim Tebow has been met with a flood of complaints over its controversial subject matter before the ad has even aired.
Tebow and his mother, Pam, will appear in the ad, sharing their personal story about how she opted not to abort him, despite doctor's warnings that he might be stillborn.
Tebow, a senior at the University of Florida, is known for his Christian beliefs and writing Bible verses on his game-day eye black. Focus on the Family is known for lobbying against gay rights, including marriage and parenting rights, to name a few.
To add insult to injury, many are crying foul since CBS refused in 2004 to air a commercial from the United Church of Christ that
promoted the denomination's willingness to accept gay and lesbian members; the network cited its policy against "advocacy advertising." The same
year, during the Super Bowl, CBS also refused to air an ad from
MoveOn.org, a liberal group, which criticized former president George
W. Bush over the growth of the federal deficit.
Some groups are taking action. Change.org has so far recruited more than 1,100 people to contact CBS about its decision to air Focus on the Family's $2.8 million ad. The ad will air once preceding the bowl and again during the big game.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Richard Renaldi Hotel Room Portraits
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM