BY Michelle Garcia
January 21 2010 6:30 PM ET
A Facebook group, consisting of nearly 2,200 members as of Thursday
afternoon, is also asking people to contact their local CBS affiliates
to share their displeasure with the decision.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation did not reply to Advocate.com's request for a comment by press time.
A spokesman for CBS told Advocate.com the network would not comment on decisions made in the past.
"Our standards and practices process continues to adhere to a policy
that ensures that all ads on all sides of an issue are appropriate for
air," he said, regarding the Focus on the Family ad.
Despite Focus on the Family's financial troubles — the Colorado
Springs, Colo.–based organization laid off approximately 540 employees
in the past few years — the pricey ad was paid for by a group of "very
generous and committed friends" who pooled funds to put it on
the air, according to a press release. The ad, which will be the
group's first Super Bowl spot, has already been shot.
Since Tebow is no longer an active college football player — though
still a senior at the University of Florida — he does not violate NCAA
rules by appearing in a commercial to denounce abortion.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- PHOTOS: Pride From France to Italy to Greece
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- TV Mastermind Jane Espenson: From to to Evil Queens
- Politics | Advocate.com
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins June 18 2013 5:44 PM