BY Michelle Garcia
January 21 2010 6:30 PM ET
A Facebook group, consisting of nearly 2,200 members as of Thursday
afternoon, is also asking people to contact their local CBS affiliates
to share their displeasure with the decision.
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation did not reply to Advocate.com's request for a comment by press time.
A spokesman for CBS told Advocate.com the network would not comment on decisions made in the past.
"Our standards and practices process continues to adhere to a policy
that ensures that all ads on all sides of an issue are appropriate for
air," he said, regarding the Focus on the Family ad.
Despite Focus on the Family's financial troubles — the Colorado
Springs, Colo.–based organization laid off approximately 540 employees
in the past few years — the pricey ad was paid for by a group of "very
generous and committed friends" who pooled funds to put it on
the air, according to a press release. The ad, which will be the
group's first Super Bowl spot, has already been shot.
Since Tebow is no longer an active college football player — though
still a senior at the University of Florida — he does not violate NCAA
rules by appearing in a commercial to denounce abortion.
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Photos: Cuba Libre
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 39 min 7 sec ago
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 40 min 18 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Robin Tyler's Rally Cry at Long Beach Dyke March 40 min 42 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 1 hour 40 min ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 1 hour 54 min ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 2 hours 6 min ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 2 hours 12 min ago