Gayle Talks Gay
BY Jon Barrett
July 15 2010 4:40 PM ET
You talked on the show about being a little nervous about attending your first gay wedding [the September 2008 wedding between producer Scott Sanders and author Brad Lamm]. What about it made you nervous?
What’s interesting is that when Scott asked me to do a reading at his wedding, I was like, Oh my God! My first gay wedding. What should I do? What should I wear? And you know what I found out, Jon? It’s like any other wedding of people in love. You know? It’s not any different. Nothing different happens. It’s a celebration of two people in love.
And that wedding was in California?
Yeah, it was in Los Angeles at the Hotel Bel-Air. I was so excited.
But that was before Proposition 8.
Oh, yeah. It was before Prop. 8. It was when marriage was legal in California for a hot second.
What was your response to Prop. 8’s passage?
Well, I was very surprised that it happened in California. You know, because I’m thinking that California’s certainly more progressive than a lot of states. Then when Iowa [passed marriage equality], I thought, Come on, guys. If they can do it in Iowa… It was sort of one of those times where you go, What’s wrong with the picture? So I think, let Iowa lead the way, as they did with the presidential election.
Prop. 8 is especially troubling when I think of how prominent the gay community is in California — the openly gay community. They’re really individuals who make you say, “I want to be like them.” I was really, really surprised and very disappointed. That threw me — the vote and that people were so vitriolic about it.
Have you been to any other same-sex weddings?
No, no one has invited me!
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 1 hour 31 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 1 hour 47 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 2 hours 5 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 2 hours 7 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 2 hours 37 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 5:02 PM