Gayle Talks Gay
BY Jon Barrett
July 15 2010 3:40 PM ET
You talked on the show about being a little nervous about attending your first gay wedding [the September 2008 wedding between producer Scott Sanders and author Brad Lamm]. What about it made you nervous?
What’s interesting is that when Scott asked me to do a reading at his wedding, I was like, Oh my God! My first gay wedding. What should I do? What should I wear? And you know what I found out, Jon? It’s like any other wedding of people in love. You know? It’s not any different. Nothing different happens. It’s a celebration of two people in love.
And that wedding was in California?
Yeah, it was in Los Angeles at the Hotel Bel-Air. I was so excited.
But that was before Proposition 8.
Oh, yeah. It was before Prop. 8. It was when marriage was legal in California for a hot second.
What was your response to Prop. 8’s passage?
Well, I was very surprised that it happened in California. You know, because I’m thinking that California’s certainly more progressive than a lot of states. Then when Iowa [passed marriage equality], I thought, Come on, guys. If they can do it in Iowa… It was sort of one of those times where you go, What’s wrong with the picture? So I think, let Iowa lead the way, as they did with the presidential election.
Prop. 8 is especially troubling when I think of how prominent the gay community is in California — the openly gay community. They’re really individuals who make you say, “I want to be like them.” I was really, really surprised and very disappointed. That threw me — the vote and that people were so vitriolic about it.
Have you been to any other same-sex weddings?
No, no one has invited me!
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM