Gayle Talks Gay
BY Jon Barrett
July 15 2010 3:40 PM ET
Two friends of mine — Mitchell Gold and Timothy Scofield — just got married in Iowa.
You know, I just read about their wedding inThe New York Times.Yeah, so they went to Iowa. I thought their story was very nice about how [Tim] had admired [Mitchell] for all those years, and then they got to meet each other. I thought it was a very nice story.
Speaking of great stories, I loved the interview you and Oprah gave in O, The Oprah Magazine in 2006, when you talked about rumors that the two of you were a gay couple. [In the interview Oprah said, “I understand why people think we’re gay. There isn’t a definition in our culture for this kind of bond between women. So I get why people have to label it — how can you be this close without being sexual? How else can you explain a level of intimacy where someone always loves you, always respects you, admires you?” Gayle said, “The truth is, if we were gay, we would so tell you.”] Do people still ask you if you’re gay?
They ask me if you are too.
Really? Like I said before, I would so tell people if I was gay. I used to think that we needed to do something to respond to that rumor — because it’s hard enough to get a date on a Saturday night. Now, I’m kind of insulted by it.… Not by the question but that people would think that I would deny it, because that implies there’s something wrong with being gay. And I have never felt that for me or anybody else. I look forward to the day when people don’t feel the necessity to hide who they are — or have the fear that people will not be accepting of who they are. It’s 2010, and I personally can’t wait until this is no longer an issue for anybody — gay or straight.
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Entertainment News Musto: Tom Daley & Maria Bello Are Bi, Get Used To It 31 min 12 sec ago
- Television WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever! 7:00 AM
- Comedy Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School 6:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: These Couples Prove Love Is Love 5:00 AM
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM