Gayle Talks Gay
BY Jon Barrett
July 15 2010 3:40 PM ET
Two friends of mine — Mitchell Gold and Timothy Scofield — just got married in Iowa.
You know, I just read about their wedding inThe New York Times.Yeah, so they went to Iowa. I thought their story was very nice about how [Tim] had admired [Mitchell] for all those years, and then they got to meet each other. I thought it was a very nice story.
Speaking of great stories, I loved the interview you and Oprah gave in O, The Oprah Magazine in 2006, when you talked about rumors that the two of you were a gay couple. [In the interview Oprah said, “I understand why people think we’re gay. There isn’t a definition in our culture for this kind of bond between women. So I get why people have to label it — how can you be this close without being sexual? How else can you explain a level of intimacy where someone always loves you, always respects you, admires you?” Gayle said, “The truth is, if we were gay, we would so tell you.”] Do people still ask you if you’re gay?
They ask me if you are too.
Really? Like I said before, I would so tell people if I was gay. I used to think that we needed to do something to respond to that rumor — because it’s hard enough to get a date on a Saturday night. Now, I’m kind of insulted by it.… Not by the question but that people would think that I would deny it, because that implies there’s something wrong with being gay. And I have never felt that for me or anybody else. I look forward to the day when people don’t feel the necessity to hide who they are — or have the fear that people will not be accepting of who they are. It’s 2010, and I personally can’t wait until this is no longer an issue for anybody — gay or straight.
- Travel PHOTOS: Australia's First Same-Sex Spouses 34 min 16 sec ago
- Media Should Edie Windsor Be Time's Person of the Year? 47 min 26 sec ago
- Television Bette Midler to Play Mae West in HBO Biopic 11:14 AM
- Marriage Equality ACLU Launches My Big Gay (Il)legal Wedding Contest 10:41 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 10:34 AM
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 8:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 7:00 AM