Gayle Talks Gay
BY Jon Barrett
July 15 2010 4:40 PM ET
Two friends of mine — Mitchell Gold and Timothy Scofield — just got married in Iowa.
You know, I just read about their wedding inThe New York Times.Yeah, so they went to Iowa. I thought their story was very nice about how [Tim] had admired [Mitchell] for all those years, and then they got to meet each other. I thought it was a very nice story.
Speaking of great stories, I loved the interview you and Oprah gave in O, The Oprah Magazine in 2006, when you talked about rumors that the two of you were a gay couple. [In the interview Oprah said, “I understand why people think we’re gay. There isn’t a definition in our culture for this kind of bond between women. So I get why people have to label it — how can you be this close without being sexual? How else can you explain a level of intimacy where someone always loves you, always respects you, admires you?” Gayle said, “The truth is, if we were gay, we would so tell you.”] Do people still ask you if you’re gay?
They ask me if you are too.
Really? Like I said before, I would so tell people if I was gay. I used to think that we needed to do something to respond to that rumor — because it’s hard enough to get a date on a Saturday night. Now, I’m kind of insulted by it.… Not by the question but that people would think that I would deny it, because that implies there’s something wrong with being gay. And I have never felt that for me or anybody else. I look forward to the day when people don’t feel the necessity to hide who they are — or have the fear that people will not be accepting of who they are. It’s 2010, and I personally can’t wait until this is no longer an issue for anybody — gay or straight.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 1 hour 39 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality May 23 2013 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth May 23 2013 6:22 PM