Reconsidering Perez Hilton
BY Jeremy Kinser
March 21 2011 6:10 PM ET
What was your opinion on the alleged gay backlash against Gaga’s “Born This Way” single?
What backlash? The song was number 1 in America for four weeks in a row. There was a backlash, [but] I think it’s a great song. It’s been the longest number 1 single in her career and if you’re gonna be compared to anyone, being compared to Madonna isn’t a bad thing. Artists like Madonna only come along every 25 years.
You were one of her earliest and staunchest supporters. Does she credit you for part of her success?
She does, but I would never take credit for it. It’s very flattering that she’s appreciative and vocal about the role I’ve played in helping her, but I think she would have been successful without my help. I’m just glad I was able to be there from the beginning and lend my support. In addition to being a friend, I’m one of her biggest fans.
Have you heard the rest of the new album?
Yes. This is her Like a Prayer album. By that I mean that Like a Prayer was one of Madonna’s most cohesive albums and the same is true with Born This Way, The songs really inhabit this world that she created and that was co-created by her fans. Each song makes sense when listened to in relation to the others. The Fame and The Fame Monster kind of had that concept, but not really. I mean “Poker Face” wasn’t really about fame. But Born This Way, the album, is a really powerful piece of work that touches on love and freedom and liberation and politics so it will surprise a lot of people. It will make a lot of people happy, but it will piss off a heck of a lot of people, too.
What’s your response to Gaga dissolving her deal with Target over their political donations?
I’m not politically correct and just because I’m gentler and kinder doesn’t mean I’m going to be politically correct. I didn’t necessarily agree with that. I know that a lot of gay people don’t like Target because of their political contributions yet a lot of those same gay people still shop at Target. I don’t think it was a bad thing at all that she had a deal with Target. I do applaud her for feeling so strongly about her convictions and caring about her gay fans so much that she felt she needed to do that.
What’s something about her that no one knows?
I’m always astounded by how smart she is. Obviously she’s crafty and clever and creative, but she’s really smart and a great writer. What I love is that she’s so different from me, yet we're so similar that we get along. She grew up in New York City with an upbringing that was very different from mine. I don’t mean her parents were wealthy, but she had all these references growing up that I didn’t have. She grew up listening to Bowie and Yoko Ono and Grace Jones. I never listened to any of those people. I listened to Madonna and Gloria Estefan. We just talk about music all the time and art and inspiring things and what we each have going on. It’s always stimulating and I feel inspired when I’m around her. When you’re around smart people you become smarter yourself—ideally.
To donate to GLSEN for a chance to win tickets to Hilton’s party, click here.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 8 min 59 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 29 min 52 sec ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 32 min 46 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 45 min 28 sec ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 47 min 21 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 1 hour 5 min ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 1 hour 7 min ago