CNN's Ashleigh Banfield Says She Didn't Mean Being Gay Is 'Voluntary'
BY Lucas Grindley
May 31 2012 8:50 PM ET UPDATED: June 01 2012 12:16 PM ET
CNN anchor Ashleigh Banfield said during a broadcast Thursday morning that being gay is "voluntary," and then headed to Twitter to say she was misunderstood.
During a segment on CNN's newly revamped morning show, Early Start, Banfield reacted to an antigay pastor's comparison of homosexuality with incest and pedophilia by saying the latter two aren't choices — but being gay is.
"Pedophilia is not by choice, last I checked," she said, before elaborating. "Again, we gotta outline here, when he says 'they punish incest and pedophilia.' Please. Those things are often not by choice and are crimes. Homosexuality is a lifestyle choice by people. It is voluntary."
(RELATED: Ashleigh Banfield Goes Back on Early Start to Clarify Comments)
Video of her reaction, the statement, and then the lack of reaction from anyone else on-air, was posted by Mediaite. The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation quickly reached out to CNN and was told Banfield would address her comments on Friday's Early Start. But she made a couple posts to Twitter to clarify what she meant.
"Need 2 clarify," tweeted Banfield. "Incest and pedophelia are CRIMES & victims have no choice. Being gay is not. Relatnshps r by choice. Way of life not crime." She followed that up with, "Being gay is not a choice. Being in consensual relationship is. I support LGBT people."
Banfield reiterated that she doesn't support the pastor in question, Curtis Knapp, who seemed to call for a gay holocaust during a recent sermon in his Kansas church.
"'Oh, so you're saying we should go out and start killing them?'" the pastor asked rhetorically. "No, I'm saying the government should. They won't, but they should."
Watch video of the moment that got Banfield in hot water:
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 1 hour 40 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 2 hours 1 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 2 hours 10 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 2 hours 36 min ago
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 2 hours 47 min ago
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM