Dan Savage Takes NOM's Brian Brown to Task at Dinner Table Debate
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 22 2012 3:08 PM ET
The debate — sparked by comments Savage made to a high school journalism conference saying, "We can learn to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about gay people,"— is embedded, unedited, below.
Savage drew ire from Brown and other conservative pundits when he told a high school journalism conference in April, "We can learn to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about gay people, the same way we have learned to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery…"
When some two dozen students walked out in protest, Savage called them "pansy-assed."
That was enough for Brown to challenge Savage to a debate. On NOMBlog, Brown wrote, "Let me lay down a public challenge to Dan Savage right here and now: You want to savage the Bible? Christian morality? Traditional marriage? Pope Benedict? I'm here, you name the time and the place and let's see what a big man you are in a debate with someone who can talk back. It's easy to make high-school girls cry by picking on them. Let's pick on someone our own size!"
Savage did indeed name a place — his dining room table — and invited Brown and his wife and children to join Savage; his husband, Terry Miller; and their son for dinner and an after-dinner debate.
While Brown accepted the invitation, neither his wife nor children were in attendance. The hour-long debate took place in Savage's Seattle home last Thursday — the same day that a security guard was shot and wounded at the Washington, D.C., office of the Family Research Council, another antigay Christian organization that often partners with NOM. Floyd Lee Corkins II is accused of the crime.
Mark Oppenheimer of The New York Times sat in as moderator, and both Savage and Brown had camera crews present. The video was posted to YouTube this morning.
Click to the next page for choice quotes from the hour-long conversation.
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- Duck Dynasty May Be Over After Antigay Tirade
- N.M. County Officials Resign Over Marriage Equality
- Hundreds of Catholic Students Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal
- WATCH: Jon Stewart 'Sort of' Stands With Fox News in Defending Duck Dynasty Star
- Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson'
- Women INTERVIEW: Welcome to the Age of Mary Lambert 1 hour 37 min ago
- Style Daily Crush: Out Russian Olympics T-Shirt 1 hour 44 min ago
- Entertainment News Make These Golden Girls Legos Happen! 1 hour 48 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Small Hotel or Resort 1 hour 58 min ago
- Comedy Best Tweets: 'Duck You, Phil Robertson' 2 hours 4 min ago
- Marriage Equality BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional UPDATED: 2 hours 8 min ago
- Education Hundreds Protest Gay Vice Principal's Dismissal 3:16 PM