Dan Savage Takes NOM's Brian Brown to Task at Dinner Table Debate
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 22 2012 4:08 PM ET
The debate — sparked by comments Savage made to a high school journalism conference saying, "We can learn to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about gay people,"— is embedded, unedited, below.
Savage drew ire from Brown and other conservative pundits when he told a high school journalism conference in April, "We can learn to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about gay people, the same way we have learned to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery…"
When some two dozen students walked out in protest, Savage called them "pansy-assed."
That was enough for Brown to challenge Savage to a debate. On NOMBlog, Brown wrote, "Let me lay down a public challenge to Dan Savage right here and now: You want to savage the Bible? Christian morality? Traditional marriage? Pope Benedict? I'm here, you name the time and the place and let's see what a big man you are in a debate with someone who can talk back. It's easy to make high-school girls cry by picking on them. Let's pick on someone our own size!"
Savage did indeed name a place — his dining room table — and invited Brown and his wife and children to join Savage; his husband, Terry Miller; and their son for dinner and an after-dinner debate.
While Brown accepted the invitation, neither his wife nor children were in attendance. The hour-long debate took place in Savage's Seattle home last Thursday — the same day that a security guard was shot and wounded at the Washington, D.C., office of the Family Research Council, another antigay Christian organization that often partners with NOM. Floyd Lee Corkins II is accused of the crime.
Mark Oppenheimer of The New York Times sat in as moderator, and both Savage and Brown had camera crews present. The video was posted to YouTube this morning.
Click to the next page for choice quotes from the hour-long conversation.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels 57 min 11 sec ago
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' 1 hour 26 min ago
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student 1 hour 53 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship 2 hours 3 min ago
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked 2 hours 19 min ago
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 2 hours 52 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 6:27 PM