Dan Savage Takes NOM's Brian Brown to Task at Dinner Table Debate
BY Sunnivie Brydum
August 22 2012 3:08 PM ET
In his opening statement, Savage, with piles of notes in front of him, asked Brown and those like him to simply tolerate the civil equality of LGBT people.
"I think that conservative Christians can learn to tolerate legal, civil same-sex marriage," said Savage. "The same way they've learned to tolerate legal divorce, which violates Catholic teaching, interfaith marriages, and nonreligious marriages. … Imposing your interpretation of the Bible on someone else is not religious freedom, as you try to redefine it, that is religious tyranny."
Brown avoided addressing any of Savage's substantive biblical critiques, instead arguing that Christianity accepts all people.
"Christianity is, if anything, radical," said Brown, who is Catholic. "It's radical in its view … of the human dignity of each and every one of us. The reason I'm here is because I believe in your human dignity. I'm willing to come and argue with you because of my respect for you. This notion of equality before God, of us all having this dignity before God, is key to the scriptures."
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts New Anthem Supporting LGBT Russians
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 2 hours 41 min ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM