GLAAD Media Awards: The Advocate Garners Four Nominations
BY Jase Peeples
January 30 2014 7:05 AM ET
"Since its inception 25 years ago, the GLAAD Media Awards have reshaped the news and entertainment industries, inspiring thoughtful and inclusive characters and plotlines that have driven equality forward," said GLAAD president Sarah Kate Ellis. "This year has brought momentous progress for LGBT people and families — and our nominees have created images and stories that continue to challenge misconceptions, shatter stereotypes, and change hearts and minds of millions all across the globe."
From entertainment, this year's nominees include perennial favorites such as Glee and Modern Family as well as the Netflix hit series Orange Is the New Black. Golden Globe winner Behind the Candelabra picked up a nomination for Outstanding TV Movie or Mini-Series, while the Sundance darling Blue Is the Warmest Color and Dallas Buyers Club were both nominated for Outstanding Film. Bridegroom, the moving story about Shane Bitney Crone and the death of his partner, was among the five films nominated for Outstanding Documentary.
The Advocate brought in four nominations, including Outstanding Magazine and Outstanding Digital Journalism Article for the series “Prime Timers: Spotlight on LGBT Seniors,” which touted the continuing accomplishments of those 65 and over. Advocate news director Sunnivie Brydum and D. David Robinson picked up a nomination for Outstanding Digital Journalism – Multimedia for sharing the stories of brave activists in Uganda in “We Are Here: LGBTI in Uganda,” while Antonia Juhasz was nominated for Outstanding Magazine Article for the story “What’s Wrong With Exxon,” which appeared in the October/November 2013 issue of The Advocate. Look back on those stories here:
The GLAAD Media Awards ceremonies will be held in Los Angeles April 12 at the Beverly Hilton and in New York May 3 at the Waldorf Astoria New York. Special Honorees for each city will be announced in coming weeks.
See a complete list of the nominees on the next page.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 25 min 30 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 1 hour 18 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 15 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2:57 PM
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM