GLAAD Media Awards: The Advocate Garners Four Nominations
BY Jase Peeples
January 30 2014 7:05 AM ET
"Since its inception 25 years ago, the GLAAD Media Awards have reshaped the news and entertainment industries, inspiring thoughtful and inclusive characters and plotlines that have driven equality forward," said GLAAD president Sarah Kate Ellis. "This year has brought momentous progress for LGBT people and families — and our nominees have created images and stories that continue to challenge misconceptions, shatter stereotypes, and change hearts and minds of millions all across the globe."
From entertainment, this year's nominees include perennial favorites such as Glee and Modern Family as well as the Netflix hit series Orange Is the New Black. Golden Globe winner Behind the Candelabra picked up a nomination for Outstanding TV Movie or Mini-Series, while the Sundance darling Blue Is the Warmest Color and Dallas Buyers Club were both nominated for Outstanding Film. Bridegroom, the moving story about Shane Bitney Crone and the death of his partner, was among the five films nominated for Outstanding Documentary.
The Advocate brought in four nominations, including Outstanding Magazine and Outstanding Digital Journalism Article for the series “Prime Timers: Spotlight on LGBT Seniors,” which touted the continuing accomplishments of those 65 and over. Advocate news director Sunnivie Brydum and D. David Robinson picked up a nomination for Outstanding Digital Journalism – Multimedia for sharing the stories of brave activists in Uganda in “We Are Here: LGBTI in Uganda,” while Antonia Juhasz was nominated for Outstanding Magazine Article for the story “What’s Wrong With Exxon,” which appeared in the October/November 2013 issue of The Advocate. Look back on those stories here:
The GLAAD Media Awards ceremonies will be held in Los Angeles April 12 at the Beverly Hilton and in New York May 3 at the Waldorf Astoria New York. Special Honorees for each city will be announced in coming weeks.
See a complete list of the nominees on the next page.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM