Ellen Wins Big at 86th Academy Awards
BY Ran Aubrey Frazier
March 05 2014 3:21 PM ET
Add Oscar host Ellen DeGeneres to the list of winners from Sunday night's telecast of the 86th Annual Academy Awards. Although she wasn't up for a golden statue, the comedian took the night, winning the ratings game with an estimated 43.7 million viewers, according to revised Nielsen ratings reported by the Associated Press. The new numbers make this year's Academy Awards the highest-rated since 2000, when Billy Crystal hosted the program for the seventh time.
A previously released Nielsen figure of 43 million placed the 2014 show behind 2004's Oscars — Crystal's eighth time as host — during which he garnered 43.5 million viewers. But on Tuesday, Nielsen adjusted its numbers upward, increasing the headcount by some 700,000 viewers.
DeGeneres's ratings coup carried over to her daytime talk show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, whose post-Oscars episode the next day had its largest audience since debuting in September of 2003.
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Italy: Restaurant Fires Server for Printing Antigay Slur on Check
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- Laverne Cox Distances Herself From Controversial Trans Inmate
- 13 LGBT Roles That Didn't Kill These A-List Actors' Careers
- WATCH: Men Claim Mailman Won't Deliver Because They're Gay