WATCH: Today Show Musical Coming, With Regis and Kathie Lee
BY Rebecca Juro
August 04 2014 3:08 PM ET
Kathie Lee Gifford and gay composer David Friedman are putting together an 18-minute musical about the Today show, featuring the morning program’s on-air personalities and crew as well as Gifford’s longtime partner in talk, Regis Philbin.
Gifford announced the project Friday on Today during a reunion with Philbin, who filled in for regular cohost Hoda Kotb. The musical is titled Not Today and Tomorrow’s Not Looking Good Either and will air sometime before the end of the year. “It’s going to be live and it’s going to be so much fun,” Gifford said.
Friedman, who has composed numerous pop tunes in addition to film and theater music, has written hundreds of songs with Gifford, including many for Today’s “Everyone Has a Story” segment. They also collaborated on the 2012 Broadway musical Scandalous, about 1920s evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson, which closed after just three weeks, leading Gifford to quip, “I have a little experience with disasters on Broadway.” We’re betting the Today show musical will be better received.
Check out the announcement below.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail