A Historic Pride in San Diego
BY Neal Broverman
July 23 2012 2:42 PM ET
With the blessing of military brass, uniformed LGBT service members marched in this weekend's San Diego Pride parade.
The Department of Defense recently gave its blessing for queer soldiers and personnel to wear their uniforms in the Diego's Pride parade. "We hereby are granting approval for service members in uniform to participate in this year's parade," Rene Bardorf, deputy assistant secretary of Defense, wrote in a letter. The troops were advised to follow the military's standards for appearance and behavior while in uniform (the directive also only applied to San Diego).
Watch the service members in action via the CNN iReport video below.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 49 min 22 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 49 min 30 sec ago
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1 hour 55 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 2 hours 30 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 11:56 AM