A Historic Pride in San Diego
BY Neal Broverman
July 23 2012 2:42 PM ET
With the blessing of military brass, uniformed LGBT service members marched in this weekend's San Diego Pride parade.
The Department of Defense recently gave its blessing for queer soldiers and personnel to wear their uniforms in the Diego's Pride parade. "We hereby are granting approval for service members in uniform to participate in this year's parade," Rene Bardorf, deputy assistant secretary of Defense, wrote in a letter. The troops were advised to follow the military's standards for appearance and behavior while in uniform (the directive also only applied to San Diego).
Watch the service members in action via the CNN iReport video below.
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- QUIZ: Are You Afraid of Gay PDA?
- WATCH: Young and Gay in Belgrade Focuses on LGBT Serbian Bravery Amid Bigotry
- Op-ed: No, You Shouldn't Raise 150K for Homophobes