A Historic Pride in San Diego
BY Neal Broverman
July 23 2012 2:42 PM ET
With the blessing of military brass, uniformed LGBT service members marched in this weekend's San Diego Pride parade.
The Department of Defense recently gave its blessing for queer soldiers and personnel to wear their uniforms in the Diego's Pride parade. "We hereby are granting approval for service members in uniform to participate in this year's parade," Rene Bardorf, deputy assistant secretary of Defense, wrote in a letter. The troops were advised to follow the military's standards for appearance and behavior while in uniform (the directive also only applied to San Diego).
Watch the service members in action via the CNN iReport video below.
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Dr. Drew Interviews Gay Teen Attacked by Christian Family
- Op-ed: This Is What Happens When a Generation Is Raised on LGBT Visibility
- Hot Sheet: Young, Cute, Dead
- Never Say This to Gay Parents
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay