11 Firsts: Major Milestones After The Repeal of 'Don't Ask Don't Tell'
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2012 5:00 AM ET
July 21: A First in Uniform
With the backing of the Department of Defense, the 2012 gay pride season was the first to feature openly gay, uniformed, active-duty troops who couldn't be investigated or discharged simply for participating. Service members marched in the 2011 San Diego Pride parade, before "don't ask, don't tell" was officially repealed, but this year, LGBT service members and personnel were even permitted by the department to march in uniform.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Music WATCH: Cher Wigs Out on The Voice 8 min 20 sec ago
- Entertainment News CA Town Hoists And Promptly Removes Gay Pride Flag 1 hour 15 min ago
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 6:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 5:05 AM
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM