11 Firsts: Major Milestones After The Repeal of 'Don't Ask Don't Tell'
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2012 5:00 AM ET
July 21: A First in Uniform
With the backing of the Department of Defense, the 2012 gay pride season was the first to feature openly gay, uniformed, active-duty troops who couldn't be investigated or discharged simply for participating. Service members marched in the 2011 San Diego Pride parade, before "don't ask, don't tell" was officially repealed, but this year, LGBT service members and personnel were even permitted by the department to march in uniform.
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- UFC Women's Champ: 'I Wouldn't Refuse' to Fight a Trans Athlete
- 60 Homoerotic Album Covers
- Straight Talk With Years & Years' Olly Alexander, the U.K.'s New Gay Pop Star
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers