11 Firsts: Major Milestones After The Repeal of 'Don't Ask Don't Tell'
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2012 5:00 AM ET
July 21: A First in Uniform
With the backing of the Department of Defense, the 2012 gay pride season was the first to feature openly gay, uniformed, active-duty troops who couldn't be investigated or discharged simply for participating. Service members marched in the 2011 San Diego Pride parade, before "don't ask, don't tell" was officially repealed, but this year, LGBT service members and personnel were even permitted by the department to march in uniform.
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- WATCH: Gay Teen Explains What Bible Really Says
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- Michael Sam Not Signed to Rams Practice Squad
- San Francisco Mourns Death of Legendary Drag Performer
- Britney Spears Heartfelt Letter to Once Suicidal Gay Fan