11 Firsts: Major Milestones After The Repeal of 'Don't Ask Don't Tell'
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2012 5:00 AM ET
July 21: A First in Uniform
With the backing of the Department of Defense, the 2012 gay pride season was the first to feature openly gay, uniformed, active-duty troops who couldn't be investigated or discharged simply for participating. Service members marched in the 2011 San Diego Pride parade, before "don't ask, don't tell" was officially repealed, but this year, LGBT service members and personnel were even permitted by the department to march in uniform.
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- LGBT Groups, Conservatives Outraged As Straight Mates Marry for Rugby Tickets
- LGBT People Are Driving an Upheaval in Video Games
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- The Media Pioneers Will Be Gay