11 Firsts: Major Milestones After The Repeal of 'Don't Ask Don't Tell'
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2012 5:00 AM ET
August: The First General
Tammy Smith became the first openly LGBT person to be promoted as an Army brigadier general, making her the highest ranking openly gay person in the Army. Smith received her stars from her wife Tracey Hepner in a private ceremony at the Women’s Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery.
- 52 LGBT Superheroes and Villains
- WATCH: Kids React to Same-Sex Marriage Ruling
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Meet the First Trans Pastor Officially Ordained by the Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police