11 Firsts: Major Milestones After The Repeal of 'Don't Ask Don't Tell'
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2012 5:00 AM ET
August: The First General
Tammy Smith became the first openly LGBT person to be promoted as an Army brigadier general, making her the highest ranking openly gay person in the Army. Smith received her stars from her wife Tracey Hepner in a private ceremony at the Women’s Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass-Wedding First in Maryland 14 min 34 sec ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 32 min 50 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 39 min 27 sec ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 54 min 38 sec ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 1 hour 5 min ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 1 hour 33 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 1 hour 39 min ago