Barney Frank Taunts Opponents of DADT Repeal: 'Naah, Naah'
BY Lucas Grindley
September 21 2012 1:11 PM ET
Rep. Barney Frank offered his typically understated reaction to critics who predicted catastrophe if "don't ask, don't tell" was repealed. During an interview with Rachel Maddow on MSNBC on Thursday, the one-year anniversary of the policy's demise, he noted that none of their dire warnings had come true by saying: "Naah, naah!"
His taunting, he said, wasn't meant to be dismissive of predictions from the likes of Sen. John McCain that unit cohesion would be rocked by letting gays and lesbians serve openly. But, it sure wasn't what you might hear from most congressman. This one, though, is retiring from Congress. He's serving his last term of a storied career.
And in recent weeks, he scrapped his convention speech and instead said whatever he wanted. He's attacked a gay Republican candidate for House in Massachusetts as harmful to LGBT rights because winning election could help ensure Republicans control the House. And he's called gay Republican lobbying groups a bunch of "Uncle Tom's."
Watch his latest blunt comments in the video below.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- Reality Special My Husband’s Not Gay: Deep in Denial?
- Op-ed: Trans Glamour Versus Trans Activism
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Hands Down, the Single Best Quote of 2014
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment