Barney Frank Taunts Opponents of DADT Repeal: 'Naah, Naah'
BY Lucas Grindley
September 21 2012 2:11 PM ET
Rep. Barney Frank offered his typically understated reaction to critics who predicted catastrophe if "don't ask, don't tell" was repealed. During an interview with Rachel Maddow on MSNBC on Thursday, the one-year anniversary of the policy's demise, he noted that none of their dire warnings had come true by saying: "Naah, naah!"
His taunting, he said, wasn't meant to be dismissive of predictions from the likes of Sen. John McCain that unit cohesion would be rocked by letting gays and lesbians serve openly. But, it sure wasn't what you might hear from most congressman. This one, though, is retiring from Congress. He's serving his last term of a storied career.
And in recent weeks, he scrapped his convention speech and instead said whatever he wanted. He's attacked a gay Republican candidate for House in Massachusetts as harmful to LGBT rights because winning election could help ensure Republicans control the House. And he's called gay Republican lobbying groups a bunch of "Uncle Tom's."
Watch his latest blunt comments in the video below.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM