Military Spouses' Club Offer of Guest Membership 'Demeaning,' Says Lesbian Wife
BY Trudy Ring
January 18 2013 10:01 PM ET
Ashley Broadway, a woman married to a female U.S. Army officer, has been offered a guest membership in a military spouses’ club, but she immediately rejected the offer as “extremely demeaning.”
Broadway, who is married to Lt. Col. Heather Mack, had sought to join the Association of Bragg Officers’ Spouses at Fort Bragg, N.C., but was turned down in December because she lacked a military dependent identification card, although such a card was not required at the time she applied for membership. Earlier this month club officials told Broadway they would consider issuing her a “Friends of Bragg” pass, which does not provide the same access as membership. Then Thursday night, the group emailed her with an offer of a “special guest membership,” which would allow her to attend club functions but not vote on any policies, while its by-laws are under review.
Broadway told NBC News the offer was “extremely demeaning.” She added, “I correlate ‘guest membership’ to saying, ‘Heather, you can be gay and be in the military but we’re not going to treat your spouse as equal.’ I can be in this club but I can’t have full membership? That’s not acceptable. I’m either going to be a member or not. I applied to be a full member with a vote. I am declining their offer.”
Read more here.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Pride S.F. Gay Couple Throw Fund-raiser for Trans Woman's Breast Implants May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality a Big Story? Not on Fox News May 17 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Jonathan Groff/Troian Bellisario Starrer C.O.G. to Open Outfest May 17 2013 7:04 PM
- Style WATCH: Nasty Pig Meets Naughty Dog May 17 2013 7:00 PM
- Sports UFC Comes Down Hard on Homophobic Wrestler May 17 2013 6:49 PM