WATCH: Sens. Udall and Gillibrand Grill Hagel on Gay and Lesbian Military Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 31 2013 2:26 PM ET UPDATED: January 31 2013 9:07 PM ET
In Hagel's prepared opening statements, released in advance of today's confirmation hearing in Washington, D.C., the Republican reiterated his pledge to support gay and lesbian service members and their families to the extent permissable under current law.
“As I’ve discussed with many of you in our meetings, I am fully committed to implementing the repeal of ‘don’t ask, don’t tell,’" said Hagel, "And doing everything possible under current law to provide equal benefits to the families of all, all our service members."
In a written response to questions posed by the confirmation committee about Hagel's commitment to complete a Pentagon report about military spousal benefits, he promised to move "expeditiously," the Blade reports.
“If confirmed, I will work closely with the Department of Defense civilian and military leadership to move forward expeditiously on this issue and will inform the appropriate Congressional committees of decisions as they are made,” Hagel wrote.
Allyson Robinson, the executive director of OutServe-Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, commended Hagel's stated commitment to equality for gay and lesbian troops and their families.
“After two years of equivocation and delay by Pentagon leadership, it is gratifying to see Senator Hagel show the kind of clear, unambiguous support for our service members and their families we saw today,” Robinson said. “It is an historic day when issues critical to gay and lesbian service members and their families take center stage in a confirmation hearing for secretary of Defense.”
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Op-ed: Democrats Throw Queers Under the Bus—Again
- The 'Undetectable' Paradox
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Women | Advocate.com
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra May 25 2013 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? May 25 2013 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash May 25 2013 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings May 25 2013 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak May 25 2013 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 May 25 2013 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' May 25 2013 12:35 PM