WATCH: Sens. Udall and Gillibrand Grill Hagel on Gay and Lesbian Military Equality
BY Sunnivie Brydum
January 31 2013 2:26 PM ET UPDATED: January 31 2013 9:07 PM ET
In Hagel's prepared opening statements, released in advance of today's confirmation hearing in Washington, D.C., the Republican reiterated his pledge to support gay and lesbian service members and their families to the extent permissable under current law.
“As I’ve discussed with many of you in our meetings, I am fully committed to implementing the repeal of ‘don’t ask, don’t tell,’" said Hagel, "And doing everything possible under current law to provide equal benefits to the families of all, all our service members."
In a written response to questions posed by the confirmation committee about Hagel's commitment to complete a Pentagon report about military spousal benefits, he promised to move "expeditiously," the Blade reports.
“If confirmed, I will work closely with the Department of Defense civilian and military leadership to move forward expeditiously on this issue and will inform the appropriate Congressional committees of decisions as they are made,” Hagel wrote.
Allyson Robinson, the executive director of OutServe-Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, commended Hagel's stated commitment to equality for gay and lesbian troops and their families.
“After two years of equivocation and delay by Pentagon leadership, it is gratifying to see Senator Hagel show the kind of clear, unambiguous support for our service members and their families we saw today,” Robinson said. “It is an historic day when issues critical to gay and lesbian service members and their families take center stage in a confirmation hearing for secretary of Defense.”
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 18 min 19 sec ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM