WATCH: Gay Military Couple Lauds New Spousal Benefits in Pentagon Video
BY Sunnivie Brydum
September 26 2013 6:28 PM ET
On September 3 the U.S. Department of Defense began offering equal benefits to all married service members, regardless of whether they are in a same-sex or opposite-sex marriage.
When the department announced the change, in reaction to this summer's Supreme Court ruling striking down a key section of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel also announced that gay and lesbian service members who wanted to get married but didn't live in a state that embraced marriage equality would be offered special paid leave time to travel to a jurisdiction where they could legally marry.
Today the Defense Department issued a video featuring a newlywed gay couple explaining how they're utilizing some of the benefits now available to married gay, lesbian, and bisexual members of the military.
The department caught up with Senior Chief Dwayne Beebe-Franqui and his husband, Johnathan Beebe-Franqui, on the day they applied for a military ID card for Johnathan, granting him access to on-base housing, the commissary, and the same privileges afforded to his husband.
"This is a huge step forward, because if you look at history, every advancement in human rights for people has started in the military," said Dwayne in the video. "Really, what it boils down to is that we're taking care of families, and the service member can go protect his country and do what they need to do."
Watch the video below.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 0 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 56 min 6 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 1 hour 6 sec ago
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 2:49 PM