GOP Candidate Affirms Antigay, 'Christian Values' in Newspaper Ad
BY Lauren Jow
August 20 2012 2:57 PM ET
A Republican state representative candidate in Arkansas took an antigay, pro-life stance, citing her “Christian values” in an advertisement published last week in The Yell County Record.
In the ad, candidate Mary Bentley attacks Democrats for their stances on same-sex marriage and abortion.
“Do you support Gay marriage and abortion?” reads the nearly 200-word ad, which a reader sent to the Arkansas Times. “The democrat party does.”
The ad criticizes President Barack Obama’s opposition to the Defense of Marriage Act as well as a recent appointee to Arkansas’s school board, Jay Barth, whom the ad characterizes as “a liberal political science professor from Hendrix who happens to be a homosexual activist and married to another man.”
Bentley then sums up her support for the Republican Party in religious terms: “I am a republican because they represent my Christian values, faith in God and what the Bible teaches about life and marriage.”
She also posted a similar statement on her campaign website.
Bentley is running for the District 73 House seat against Democratic candidate Rep. John Catlett, who was first elected to the House District 61 in 2010.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- Lesbian Past of Candidate’s Wife Rocks NYC Mayoral Race
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM