Former Gov. Has Best Quote of the Year on GOP's 'Family Values'
BY Daniel Reynolds
January 07 2014 3:14 PM ET UPDATED: January 07 2014 4:31 PM ET
Former Montana governor Brian Schweitzer had strong words about the hypocrisy of the “family values” touted by members of his state’s Republican Party.
During an interview with Slate magazine, Schweitzer, who is considered a likely challenger to Hillary Clinton during the 2016 Democratic Party presidential primaries, made the remarks when asked about the Republicans who attempted to set “‘family values’ traps” regarding marijuana and same-sex marriage during his successful campaign for governor of Montana in 2004.
“Oh, yeah, name these Republicans,” the 58-year-old politician prompted. “The ones cheating on their third wives while they’re talking about traditional family values? Those ones?”
“Each society has to make choices about what’s against the law,” Schweitzer had remarked beforehand on the legalization of marijuana. “You have a large percentage of the population that’s already using this. The war on drugs is another war that appears to have been lost. This experiment with prohibition of marijuana doesn’t seem have to been working. Colorado might have it more right than the rest of us.”
Schweitzer, who bested Republican opponent Roy Brown by 33 percentage points in the state’s 2008 gubernatorial election and enjoyed one of the highest approval ratings of governors in the United States, ended his second term as governor of Montana in January 2013.
The full interview with Slate, which addresses topics ranging from foreign policy to the mininum wage, can be found on the publication’s website.
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated the end-date of Schweitzer's second gubernatorial term. The Advocate regrets this error.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 38 min 21 sec ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 41 min 26 sec ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 1 hour 8 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 1 hour 10 min ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 1 hour 13 min ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 1 hour 16 min ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 2 hours 12 min ago