N.C. Lawmaker Conflates Sexual Orientation With Pedophilia
BY Daniel Reynolds
June 25 2014 11:56 AM ET
A Republican lawmaker is under fire for suggesting that the definition of “sexual orientation” could include pedophilia or incest.
During a debate Tuesday over an amendment that would ban discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity in North Carolina charter schools, Rep. Paul Stern questioned the meaning of the term and circulated a pamphlet titled “What Is a ‘Sexual Orientation’?” reports The Charlotte Observer.
Sourced from an outdated American Psychiatric Association manual published in 2000, the two-page paper listed 30 definitions of the word, including pedophilia, bestiality, and sadism.
“I’ve never gotten an answer from people who use the term ‘sexual orientation,’” Stern said in defense of his action. He later claimed that he was only asking the amendment’s author, Rep. Susan Fisher, to present a definition of the word.
The stunt provoked outrage among fellow lawmakers in the North Carolina House of Representatives, including Rep. Marcus Brandon, a gay legislator who called it “ridiculous.”
“This is shameful,”added Rep. Tricia Cotham, a Democrat. “He needs to understand that his words and his actions are offensive and cannot be tolerated.”
The amendment was tabled.
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship