2010? 2012? The Fight in California Continues
BY Amita Parashar
July 27 2009 12:00 AM ET
Despite a weekend summit that brought together more than 150 marriage equality activists, consensus over the timing of an attempt to repeal California's Proposition 8 at the voting booth remains elusive. But that hasn't stopped some gay groups from preparing for the earlier option.
Reactions to the heated LGBT Leadership Summit, organized by Marriage Equality USA and held in a San Bernardino, Calif., church, ranged from "pretty good" to "utter failure." A straw poll conducted at the end of the summit favored a 2010 ballot initiative 93-49.
In preparation for the summit, Marriage Equality USA held 40 town hall meetings in June and July across California to gauge public opinion on a ballot initiative timetable. Participants at meetings in West Hollywood and Bakersfield overwhelmingly favored 2010, while Oakland, Palm Springs, and others preferred 2012.
Regardless, Love Honor Cherish, a grassroots organization founded last year prior to the passage of Prop. 8, will hold a meeting next month with other groups supportive of a 2010 initiative. The session will allow the groups to organize their signature-gathering effort, which will begin in November, said John Henning, Love Honor Cherish's executive director.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 1 hour 35 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 2 hours 19 min ago
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 2 hours 37 min ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 2 hours 50 min ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM