2010? 2012? The Fight in California Continues
BY Amita Parashar
July 27 2009 12:00 AM ET
Despite a weekend summit that brought together more than 150 marriage equality activists, consensus over the timing of an attempt to repeal California's Proposition 8 at the voting booth remains elusive. But that hasn't stopped some gay groups from preparing for the earlier option.
Reactions to the heated LGBT Leadership Summit, organized by Marriage Equality USA and held in a San Bernardino, Calif., church, ranged from "pretty good" to "utter failure." A straw poll conducted at the end of the summit favored a 2010 ballot initiative 93-49.
In preparation for the summit, Marriage Equality USA held 40 town hall meetings in June and July across California to gauge public opinion on a ballot initiative timetable. Participants at meetings in West Hollywood and Bakersfield overwhelmingly favored 2010, while Oakland, Palm Springs, and others preferred 2012.
Regardless, Love Honor Cherish, a grassroots organization founded last year prior to the passage of Prop. 8, will hold a meeting next month with other groups supportive of a 2010 initiative. The session will allow the groups to organize their signature-gathering effort, which will begin in November, said John Henning, Love Honor Cherish's executive director.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 min 42 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 16 min 20 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 17 min 51 sec ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational LGBT Families Stranded 29 min 13 sec ago
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 44 min 26 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 58 min 19 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 1 hour 59 sec ago