Scalia: You Don't Know My Stance on Marriage Equality
BY Michelle Garcia
January 29 2013 2:10 PM ET
Supreme Court justice Antonin Scalia has typically been clear when it comes to his legal interpretations of the constitutionality of gay rights. But now the conservative justice claims that he has never expressed his personal views on gay marriage or gun control in public or in his rulings.
At an event at Southern Methodist University, Scalia said a crucial part of his post as Supreme Court justice is reaching decisions, even if they contradict one's personal beliefs.
"The judge who always likes the results he reaches is a bad judge," he said, according to The Dallas Morning News.
When SMU professor Bryan A. Garner asserted that he and Scalia differed on certain issues, such as gun control and marriage equality, Scalia countered that Garner's assertion may not necessarily be true.
"I haven't expressed my views on either of those," he said. "You're a bleeding heart."
The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments on two marriage equality cases this spring.
In the past, Scalia has said sodomy, the death penalty, and abortion are "easy" to rule on. He has also repeatedly said that the U.S. Constitution is "dead, dead, dead," so gay rights aren't protected by the document, since homosexuality was not addressed when the Constitution was drafted in the 18th century.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit December 09 2013 9:41 PM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM