'BJUnity' Offers Support to Gay Alums of Bob Jones University
BY Lucas Grindley
June 21 2012 6:11 PM ET
Bob Jones alumni who later come out as gay now have a place to turn for support — BJUnity.
KLTV reports that David Diachenko, a graduate of the very conservative Christian university, founded the group after coming out himself and finding others like him.
"The common theme was, 'I felt alone, I didn't have any resources, I knew when I came out that I was going to lose family, friends, kicked out of the university,'" he told KLTV. "So we made an organization that would assist those people."
For its part Bob Jones University released a statement reiterating its belief that Christians can't be gay.
"Since the Scripture says clearly that homosexuality is a sin, BJU policies forbid homosexuality," the statement reads, according to a copy posted on the Fox Carolina website. "We do not single out homosexuality in our policies, however, but address all forms of sexual expression prohibited by Scripture, including lewdness, sensual behavior, adultery, pornography, and sexual perversion of any kind. Students and their families know our Christian living policies before students enroll."
Learn more about BJUnity in the video below from KLTV.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 8 min 49 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 52 min 13 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 1 hour 4 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 1 hour 18 min ago
- Transgender Jesse Tyler Ferguson Slams His Former School's Transphobic Graduation Policy 1 hour 18 min ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame 1 hour 19 min ago
- Politics Democratic 'Betrayal' Leaves Binational Couples Stranded 1 hour 31 min ago