'BJUnity' Offers Support to Gay Alums of Bob Jones University
BY Lucas Grindley
June 21 2012 6:11 PM ET
Bob Jones alumni who later come out as gay now have a place to turn for support — BJUnity.
KLTV reports that David Diachenko, a graduate of the very conservative Christian university, founded the group after coming out himself and finding others like him.
"The common theme was, 'I felt alone, I didn't have any resources, I knew when I came out that I was going to lose family, friends, kicked out of the university,'" he told KLTV. "So we made an organization that would assist those people."
For its part Bob Jones University released a statement reiterating its belief that Christians can't be gay.
"Since the Scripture says clearly that homosexuality is a sin, BJU policies forbid homosexuality," the statement reads, according to a copy posted on the Fox Carolina website. "We do not single out homosexuality in our policies, however, but address all forms of sexual expression prohibited by Scripture, including lewdness, sensual behavior, adultery, pornography, and sexual perversion of any kind. Students and their families know our Christian living policies before students enroll."
Learn more about BJUnity in the video below from KLTV.
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video
- A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 1 hour 50 min ago
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2 hours 31 min ago
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2 hours 41 min ago
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM