Ala. Chief Justice Who Said 'Gays Will Destroy Nation' Reelected
BY Neal Broverman
November 07 2012 10:08 PM ET
If you think Tuesday's election was a national endorsement of equality, that memo escaped Alabama's voters: they reelected a former state Supreme Court chief justice who was previously fired for refusing to take down a monument to the Ten Commandments and who believes "gay marriage will destroy the nation."
After being fired in 2003, Roy Moore handily won reelection on Tuesday as Alabama's most powerful judge. Moore bested two other opponents and received over 50% of the vote. Since he was removed from his position nine years ago after refusing federal orders to take down his religious monument, Moore hasn't had a change of heart about the separation of church and state. His victory party on Tuesday featured a cake shaped like the tablets of the Ten Commandments, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Moore also has no qualms about airing his biases of LGBT people. While campaigning earlier this month, he told a crowd of Tea Party supporters that "same-sex marriage will lead to the ultimate destruction of our country. " Click here to see his diatribe.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 1 hour 5 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 2 hours 5 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM