Pope Benedict Offers an Antigay Message for Peace
BY Lucas Grindley
December 15 2012 10:14 AM ET
The Pope warned of the threat posed by same-sex marriage as part of an annual message about peace.
The World Day of Peace as celebrated by the Catholic Church is on New Year's Day, and Pope Benedict XVI released his message for that day on Friday, warning that any efforts to allow gays and lesbians to wed "actually harm and help to destabilize marriage."
The Pope wrote that in order to pursue peace, "There is also a need to acknowledge and promote the natural structure of marriage as the union of a man and a woman in the face of attempts to make it juridically equivalent to radically different types of union; such attempts actually harm and help to destabilize marriage, obscuring its specific nature and its indispensable role in society."
Pope Benedict seemed to claim same-sex marriage violates human nature. After railing against abortion and marriage equality, he said what the other side pursues is "an offence against the truth of the human person."
(UPDATE: Protestors Gather Outside Vatican Over Antigay Peace Speech)
"These principles are not truths of faith, nor are they simply a corollary of the right to religious freedom," he wrote. "They are inscribed in human nature itself, accessible to reason and thus common to all humanity."
The Catholic Church in the United States has put money into backing its beliefs, having spent $2 million fighting marriage equality in four states this election cycle.
Meanwhile, American Catholics are moving further away from Pope Benedict on the issue. A new Quinnipiac University poll released this month found that among white Catholics, support for marriage equality is at 49%, with 43% opposed.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 45 min 41 sec ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 1 hour 27 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 1 hour 32 min ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 2 hours 50 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2:18 PM
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court UPDATED: 2:12 PM
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM