Gays Blamed for History's Biggest Natural Disaster — Noah's Flood
BY Lucas Grindley
January 10 2013 4:01 PM ET
By pastor Scott Lively's history of the world, wedding songs at gay marriage ceremonies caused the great flood that had Noah escaping in the ark.
That's the latest theory he floated during a radio interview with the American Family Association, reported on by Right Wing Watch. But really, it's hard to know what Lively had in mind when he said in a recent interview that "the last straw for God before he brought the flood was when they started writing wedding songs to homosexual marriage."
Lively is the focus of a first-of-its-kind federal court case, Sexual Minorities Uganda v. Scott Lively, in which the American evangelical is accused of conspiring to persecute LGBT people in Uganda. That country's LGBT activists have been fighting the "Kill the Gays" bill, for example.
See if you can discern Lively's logic about how gay people caused Noah's flood here:
"We need to remember that in the time leading up to the flood what the rabbis teach about the last straw for God before he brought the flood was when they started writing wedding songs to homosexual marriage and Jesus said that you’ll know the end times because it will be like the days of Noah," Lively said, according to a transcript published by Right Wing Watch. "There’s never been a time in the history of the world since before the flood when homosexual marriage has been open and celebrated, and that’s another sign that I believe that we’re close to the end."
Lively went on to speak directly to pastors who were listening the to the radio show, warning that they face personal losses for opposing LGBT people while also encouraging them to be steadfast.
"We’re entering into a time in which standing for the truth of God is going to cost you more than just a few people walking out of your congregation and the temptation to compromise with the world, especially on this issue," he said. "I think this is the issue of the end times, homosexuality. It’s present, if you do a careful investigation of all the scriptures dealing with this from the beginning and all the way to the end, God is painting a very clear picture that this represents the outer extent of rebellion against him in a society and the last thing that happens before wrath comes."
AFA's biggest radio mouthpiece, Bryan Fischer, added Wednesday that natural disasters are all sent by God, of course.
"Here's the thing to remember about any disaster. It is always a call on the people of a land to repent before God," he said on Wednesday. "God knows when the nation needs a corrective influence."
- BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 3 min 49 sec ago
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 16 min 49 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 37 min 27 sec ago
- Youth BREAKING: Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 56 min 37 sec ago
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 1 hour 3 min ago
- Entertainment News Debbie Reynolds: 'We All Knew He Was Gay' 1 hour 28 min ago
- World News Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship 1 hour 42 min ago