Family Research Council Argues in Favor of Discriminating Against Trans People
BY Nick Pachelli
February 27 2013 3:22 PM ET
To make its case against banning discrimination of transgender people, the Family Research Council is calling trans Marylanders delusional and in need of psychological help, according to ThinkProgress.
The Maryland Senate is considering the Fairness for All Marylanders Act, which would add gender identity to the state's anti-discrimination policy, adding a layer of protection in the workplace and housing. FRC's Peter Sprigg testified against the bill on Tuesday by arguing trans people need therapy, not protection.
“The solution is compassionate counseling aimed at helping the individual to uncover the psychological roots of their gender identity problems,” Spriggs said, according to an excerpt posted by ThinkProgress. “This bill would force the state... to officially and legally affirm the very delusion that puts these suffering individuals at odds with reality.”
Sprigg finished by saying the bill would not make the lives of transgender people better and that it would actually prevent them from getting the help they need.
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story did not attribute the source of the news and quotes to ThinkProgress.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 4 min 3 sec ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 28 min 57 sec ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 39 min 40 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 44 min 17 sec ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 1 hour 17 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 1 hour 4 min ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 1 hour 16 min ago