Right-Wing Broadcaster: Wish Gays Death Via Wedding Cakes
BY Trudy Ring
September 06 2013 2:32 PM ET
The icing on the cake for a same-sex wedding should be a Bible verse that calls for death to gay people, says Christian right radio host Kevin Swanson.
Swanson made the recommendation Wednesday on his Internet-based Generations With Vision program while discussing the Oregon bakery that had refused to make a cake for a lesbian couple’s wedding and subsequently closed its shop, although it is continuing as a home-based business.
“If you bake a cake for a homosexual wedding you can put Leviticus 20:13 on the cake,” said Swanson. He quoted the verse: “If a man sleeps with a man as he sleeps with a woman the two of them have committed an abomination and they shall both be put to death.” He also suggested that wedding guests hold up signs with the verse on them.
He said the Oregon bakery, Sweet Cakes by Melissa, was the victim of a “Pink Mafia effort to control and shut down businesses that do not cooperate with their agenda.”
Recently another Christian right activist, former Navy chaplain Gordon Klingenschmitt, said photographers serving same-sex weddings should print “worthy of death” on the back of pictures.
Listen to Swanson’s broadcast here, courtesy of Right Wing Watch.
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- Iowa Couple Plans 1,000 Antigay Billboards
- 10 Tips on Growing Older for LGBT People Under 40
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers