WATCH: Single Mothers Make Boys Gay, Says Pat Robertson
BY Trudy Ring
August 27 2014 1:01 PM ET
Old stereotypes die hard, at least in the world of the religious right.
Pat Robertson still doesn’t accept that people are born gay (and almost assuredly never will), and in the latest evidence of his attitude, he repeats the discredited old saw that single motherhood and lack of a “male role model” makes boys and men gay.
In a recent episode of The 700 Club, cohost Terry Meeuwsen reads the televangelist a letter from a woman who is worried because her 13-year-old stepson, who is in the primary custody of his mother, is having crushes on other boys. “His attraction is now toward other men because he’s raised by a woman,” Robertson responds, adding, “I would get him male companions, I’d get him some man to help him … let the kid grow up with a male role model and see what happens.” Being raised by a single woman may be “skewing” the boy’s sexual orientation, Robertson says.
Robertson also appears to forget the boy has a father until Meeuwsen reminds him.
Watch the exchange below, courtesy of Right Wing Watch.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Federal Judge Rules for Marriage Equality in Arkansas