WATCH: Single Mothers Make Boys Gay, Says Pat Robertson
BY Trudy Ring
August 27 2014 2:01 PM ET
Old stereotypes die hard, at least in the world of the religious right.
Pat Robertson still doesn’t accept that people are born gay (and almost assuredly never will), and in the latest evidence of his attitude, he repeats the discredited old saw that single motherhood and lack of a “male role model” makes boys and men gay.
In a recent episode of The 700 Club, cohost Terry Meeuwsen reads the televangelist a letter from a woman who is worried because her 13-year-old stepson, who is in the primary custody of his mother, is having crushes on other boys. “His attraction is now toward other men because he’s raised by a woman,” Robertson responds, adding, “I would get him male companions, I’d get him some man to help him … let the kid grow up with a male role model and see what happens.” Being raised by a single woman may be “skewing” the boy’s sexual orientation, Robertson says.
Robertson also appears to forget the boy has a father until Meeuwsen reminds him.
Watch the exchange below, courtesy of Right Wing Watch.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- WATCH: Finding the Funny in "Ex-Gay" Marriages and a Queerpocalypse
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- Meet the Iowa Lesbians Finally Married After 72 Years
- India Gets First Transgender TV News Anchor