WATCH: Transgender Son of Warren Beatty, Annette Bening Answers Questions
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 18 2012 9:50 PM ET
Stephen Ira, the 20-year-old transgender son of actors Warren Beatty and Annette Bening, reveals his trans role models and the people who have been most supportive of his transition in a video he's self-released.
Ira, who admits to being a rapid speaker, answers several questions submitted via WeHappyTrans, a website dedicated to allowing transgender people to share their positive experiences. "My friends, my peers who I'm lucky to have had relationships with since high school, which is when I came out," Ira says in answer to who has been most supportive of his decision to transition.
Truman Capote is mentioned as one of Ira's style icons. "Also any male-identified person who wears thigh-highs with garters," Ira, says with a smile, before adding, "The world belongs to you." He also lists a number of his trans role models, including the late activist Marsha P. Johnson, about whom Ira says, "We as young trans people owe so much."
Watch Ira's entire video below.
- BREAKING: Supreme Court: Kentucky Clerk Must Issue Marriage Licenses
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- STUDY: One-Third of Israelis Are Bisexual
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’