WATCH: Transgender Son of Warren Beatty, Annette Bening Answers Questions
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 18 2012 9:50 PM ET
Stephen Ira, the 20-year-old transgender son of actors Warren Beatty and Annette Bening, reveals his trans role models and the people who have been most supportive of his transition in a video he's self-released.
Ira, who admits to being a rapid speaker, answers several questions submitted via WeHappyTrans, a website dedicated to allowing transgender people to share their positive experiences. "My friends, my peers who I'm lucky to have had relationships with since high school, which is when I came out," Ira says in answer to who has been most supportive of his decision to transition.
Truman Capote is mentioned as one of Ira's style icons. "Also any male-identified person who wears thigh-highs with garters," Ira, says with a smile, before adding, "The world belongs to you." He also lists a number of his trans role models, including the late activist Marsha P. Johnson, about whom Ira says, "We as young trans people owe so much."
Watch Ira's entire video below.
- WATCH: Gay Couple Assaulted at Dallas BBQ in Chelsea
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Mic-Drop on Antigay GOP's 'Slim Chances' at White House
- Drag Race's Trixie Mattel: 'I Actually Thought I Would Win'
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: Janet Mock Gives Oprah 'Ah-Ha' Moments About Gender
- WATCH: Ben Carson Thinks President Can Ignore Courts on Marriage Equality